Often, men and women face a situation where the skin in the auricle begins to flake off. The problem may be accompanied by itching and pain. The causes of the phenomenon can be both diseases of organs and body systems, and improper hygiene. If the disease is not treated, it can lead to serious consequences: sepsis, deep mycosis, perforation of the eardrum, the destruction of the auditory ossicles. Treatment for peeling of the skin in the ears is made on the basis of the reason for its appearance, using medicines or folk remedies.
Causes of the problem
If you wash the auricles with a rough washcloth or a hard sponge, damage to the upper layer of the skin will occur. During the healing process, dry crusts will start to appear on the ears. Bathing in highly chlorinated water can lead to similar effects.
In most cases, the reasons for flaking skin in the ears are associated with diseases of the body. These include:
- Fungus. The disease begins to actively develop in the event of a weakening of the protective properties of the body (immunity). The source of infection can be someone else's headphones, hearing aids, or earplugs. The cause of the fungus can be treated with antibiotics.
- Allergic reactions. Manifested by a small rash on the skin of the ear canal or shell. The reasons for the development are most often the body's reaction to the metals from which earrings are made (nickel, chrome, cobalt, copper) and hair care products: shampoos, shower gels, conditioners, hair dyes. When scratching the bubbles, wounds are formed, the healing of which is accompanied by the appearance of crusts and peeling of the skin.
- Metabolic disease. It leads to a slowdown in the metabolism and nutrition of skin cells, with the result that new cells do not have time to form instead of dead ones. This is manifested by peeling and cracking of the skin inside and outside the auricle.
- Psychosomatic disorders. Regular stress, prolonged depression and frequent psycho-emotional overload can lead to disruption of the nervous system. This entails a metabolic failure and hormonal disorders, including in the formation of desquamation in the ears.
In rare cases, flaking of the skin in the auricle can be a reaction to prolonged exposure to sunlight.
It is necessary to get rid of the disease after a full examination and determination of the initial cause. Depending on the diagnosis, it is necessary to use traditional medical therapy or folk remedies.
In a situation where the problem is caused by a bacterial infection, it is advisable to use antibiotics in the form of ear drops (Anauran, Otipaks). In some cases, drops may be administered in combination with tablets or injections of antibacterial drugs.
If desquamation is associated with a fungus, antifungal agents for external use (Pimafucin, Terbinafarin) and (or) oral preparations (Fluconazole) are used.
Treatment of psychosomatic disorders, accompanied by the appearance of desquamation of the ears, is carried out by tranquilizers, antidepressants, nootropics, neuroleptics, strictly by doctor's prescription.
A drug solution to the problem of peeling the skin of the ears, caused by allergic reactions, is solved with the help of antihistamine drugs: Suprastin, Tavegila.
If the flaking of the skin in the ear is caused by a metabolic disorder or mechanical damage, it is advisable to use folk remedies.
- For topical application it is effective to use vegetable oils (sunflower or olive). To do this, moisten them with cotton swabs and insert them into the ear canal for 20-25 minutes. The external and internal auricle can also be treated with oil.
- As an external remedy, broths of medicinal plants are used: chamomile, train, and St. John's wort. Prepare them like this: 10-15 g of dry raw materials are placed in a faceted glass and brewed with boiling water. After a half-hour infusion, the composition is filtered through cheesecloth. Then rub the ears with a cotton pad moistened in the broth 2-3 times a day for 5-7 days.
- For internal use it is recommended to use ginger tea. It helps to quickly raise the immune system and increase the metabolic rate, thereby contributing to the speedy elimination of the problem. To make a drink, chop 15 g of ginger root, place it in a teapot and pour 300 ml of boiling water. You can take healing tea 20 minutes after brewing. The regimen: 3-4 times a day, 1 cup for 15 minutes before meals.
Significantly reduce the likelihood of flaking skin in the ears is possible if you adhere to certain principles.
The most important of them are:
- A varied, balanced diet that includes a large amount of fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Refusal to smoke and drink.
- Regular exercise.
- Timely treatment of colds.
- Protect your ears from water while visiting pools.
- Preventing the presence of a headdress on drafts.
Particular attention should be paid to cleaning the ears. The procedure should be carried out with cotton swabs only in the outer area of the ear canal. Trying to get sulfur from the "depth" is not necessary, as it comes out from there itself while chewing.
When peeling of the auricle appears, do not self-medicate. Only a doctor after a comprehensive examination can determine the true cause and prescribe effective therapy.